Properties of HSFG Bolts
Bolts are extensively used as a fastener. They serve various purposes and there may be various types of bolts. We at Indiana Steel being in the steel business since long and are involved in the manufacture and supply of various kinds of fasteners includes bolts. Of the various types of bolts which are in use the HSFG bolts are widely used. These are on account of the properties they have. In this blog we will explain to you what they are and their properties and benefits of using them.
HSFG bolts what they are? How they are made?
High Strength Friction Grip Bolts are popularly known are HSFG bolts. They are made from bars of medium carbon steel. These bolts have great strength. Their high strength is built through the process of quenching and tempering.
This process is also known as alloying steel. Steel washers of hard steel or carburized steel are provided to evenly distribute the clamping pressure on the bolted member and to prevent the threaded portion of the bolt from bearing on the connecting pieces.
If the bolts are tightened by the turn of nut method, the nut is made snug and is tightened a half turn more by hand wrenches, then the washers are not required. The vibrations and impact resistance of the joint is also improved. The nut and head of the bolts are kept sufficiently large. This is done to provide an adequate bearing area.
The advantages of using HSFG bolts
There are many advantages of using the HSFG bolts. These are as follow:
1. HSFG bolts are very strong. This is why they provide a rigid joint. When they are used there is no slip between the elements connected
2. When they are made the HSFG bolts, large tensile stresses are developed in bolts. This in turn provides large clamping force to the elements connected. High frictional resistances are developed. This therefore provides a high static strength the joint.
4. The frictional resistance is effective outside the hole. As a result of this lesser load is transmitted through the net section. The possibility of failure at the net section is therefore minimized to some extent by using HSFG bolts.
6. The tension in bolts is uniform. Also the bolts are tensioned up to proof load hence; the nuts are prevented from loosening
7. Cost gets reduced to some extent by making use of such bolts since fewer persons are require to make the connections.
8. Noise nuisance is not there as these bolts are tightened with wrenches.
9. Since these bolts have great strength the hazard of fire can be avoided
10. Alterations can be done easily.
11. To acquire greater strength lesser number of bolts are required as compared to rivets. This brings in cost cutting.
To conclude we can say that HSFG bolts have many advantages owing to their properties. This is why they are extensively used in all sectors. We at Indiana Steels are one of the leading manufacturers and suppliers of HSFG bolts. For more information about our products please visit our website.